Thursday, January 08, 2004

I truly fucking hate fucking personality tests. Don't ask me why. For my sister it's spiders, for my mom it's small enclosed spaces, for Gretchen it's smoking (I think.) For me it's personality tests. I think maybe it's because of the usual perfectly normal test-taking anxiety, but multiplied by ten because you aren't being tested on what you know, you're being tested on what the fuck you are. Also, because it seems vaguely dehumanizing. I mean, I'm not a religious man in the sense of "subscribe to a certain dogma", but I have my spiritual moments, and the very idea that all the important facts about a person's mind, the very nature of their soul, can be calculated and derived and deduced from 30 or so questions seems pretty fucking offensive.

Also, looking at that last paragraph I wrote, I wish American English had different curses. I mean, French has a nice range and variety, and I have very little experience with it but it seems to me that English does as well, but American English... A tough situation or an unpleasant person is a "bastard" (or "bitch"), a very unpleasant woman is a "cunt", a bad thing is "shit", and everything else is "fuck". How boring. How vague and undescriptive. But if I started swearing like how British people swear in the movies, then people would just look at me funny.

No comments: