Wednesday, May 12, 2004

It went well.

My job as a substitute happened to be on a day that the teacher only had four classes, and he's the teacher of "College Prep Chemistry" so it's not a very hard group of kids, but even so... it went well. At the moment I'm planning on doing this for as long as I can get away with it and still get some job for the rest of the summer. Because as I said, the pay is pretty damn good, especially for the amount of work involved.

It's funny, a tiny bit. I don't want to be a teacher. And it used to drive me nuts, how most people would hear I was an English major and say, "Oh, you want to be a teacher?" I don't want to. Partly because, yes, it's what my parents have done and I want to make my own way in the world, so to speak, and not just follow in their footsteps. And partly because I think I'd go nuts, dealing with kids constantly like that. They don't want to be there, most of them hate you, they'll take all their adolescent frustration and confusion out on you - it's a recipe for misery. Also because I'd at least like the chance of money. Sure, I know that the writer/journalist track I'm aiming for is not a lucrative field, but at least there's a chance of prosperity if I work my ass off or become outstandingly excellent or something, whereas the only reward for the best teacher in the world is a medal and fifteen minutes of fame.

And yet despite all that, I'm happy to have a job as a substitute, and enjoying it, at least after the first day. Funny.

No comments: