Thursday, May 20, 2004

Last night was both the Smallville season finale and the Angel series finale. (Yes, that's right, I watch (watched?) shows on the WB. Get over it.)

The Smallville finale was fun and exciting and suspenseful, I'll admit. Just like the two other season finales, it ended on several major cliffhangers. They outdid themselves this year - there were 5 cliffhangers, maybe 7 if you want to get picky. So it was exciting, but later I realized I might not be there in the fall to see how they turn out. Because I don't care. Some of the really interesting characters get passed over all the time for the eye candy that's mandatory on a WB show even if it can't act to save its life. Clark Kent seems like a jerk in this show, and several characters are painfully stupid for no reason but to advance the plot. At this point, I think I'll wait for a few weeks after the season starts and only download any eps if they get good reviews.

Angel, on the other hand, was excellent. Not perfect, sure, but damn close. I read a lot of bad reviews of it, but I don't know what people were talking about. Other than the fact that it didn't have much setup - the group they were fighting was only named the episode before - I wouldn't have changed one single thing. It was fun, it was smart, all the characters got the resolutions they deserved or at least needed, and in the end the heroes, the champions, went out fighting. Great TV. And with that, ends what began more than seven years ago with "Welcome to the Hellmouth". The Buffyverse is gone. Sure, I think there are still comic books, and we can always hold out hope for a movie or something, but both of the two series are cancelled.

Oh well. With the exception of the last two eps of Angel, they really went out with a whimper rather than a bang. They had their moments, but it's in the past.

No comments: