Tuesday, July 13, 2004

I need to get off my lazy ass and do stuff.

I don't have a job yet. I don't regret the fact that I spent the first month or so of my vacation subbing at my dad's high school, even though it meant throwing away the edge offered by being available before all the other students looking for summer work. It was fun and I learned a lot and it paid very well. Hell, in that one month at Fair Haven I made about as much money as I had made all of last summer. Sure, I had a lot more expenses last summer and my job then wasn't full time and so on, but still - subbing was worth it.

I do, however, regret that I haven't worked too hard to find a job for the rest of the summer, and that I barely even tried while I was subbing. At the beginning of last summer my dad told me that finding work should be a full-time job. What have I been doing so far this summer? Calling whatever "Help Wanted" ads in the paper that I'm qualified for and are right close to home, leaving résumés with a couple businesses that I assume are "always hiring" - and that's it for the past month. I suck.

Oh well, I'm over it. There's still time, I'm still optimistic about one place I applied to last week, and tomorrow I have no excuse not to buckle down and try all of a half-dozen good leads.

In other news, I spent this morning driving down to Albany and back. My dad and my sister have been planning a white water rafting trip through the Grand Canyon for months now - it's sort of a combination birthday/graduation present for her. It's two weeks long and starts tomorrow. At 3 a.m. - THREE A.M.! - this morning, we get a phone call, and when the answering machine picks up, it's an automated voice saying that their flight out of Burlington was cancelled. So most of us go back to sleep but my dad just gets up then and makes alternate arrangements. So he, Zoe and I drive 2 hours to Albany to make their other flight, and I drive back. I was proud: I didn't get lost or even have to ask for directions once, even though I did the last time I was on that road.

It's amazing how much good a little exercising can do you. Or maybe it's biking specifically rather than general exercise, or maybe it's just me or whatever. Anyways, I was feeling pretty depressed yesterday, and I had some errands to run, so I biked into town and... wow. That was all it took.

No comments: