Thursday, November 11, 2004

Wow, last night was pretty damn good.

Over the past week, I put everything off, in some cases past what would prove to be the "last minute," so it never got done. By Wedneday at 7:15 p.m. the news section was faced with 2 or 3 missing stories, a bigger section than usual, one story that was shaping up to be very crappy (mine), and a larger paper in general, which meant everyone else had more to do so we were competing with each other for the same printer time.

So no one was more surprised than me that by 7:15 a.m. Thursday... I'm here. In my room. We're done. Due to a combination of judicious use of graphics, hard work, accepting my sucky story and a puff piece partially to fill space, and the fact that other sections were doing well themselves, the night went great.

Also, there are two letters to the editor about my editorial last week. Both complaining. I suppose I should have taken Chad's advice and at least tried to clarify one point about it, but... well, suffice it to say, neither letter has exactly persuaded me to rethink the basic position of my editorial.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I don't blame you for writing the article or for not re-thinking your statements. The College Republicans are demonstrating exactly what you were saying, that they think they are ALWAYS the victims, regardless of what actually happens. Both of the people who wrote articles are UR Republicans... and as far as GOTV efforts are concerned... it is the duty of any political organization to first be about civil responsibility and then about partisan politics. To anyone actually watching, they only prove your point.
~Your kindly local democratic graduate~