Tuesday, December 07, 2004

I won't be putting as much time and thought into this entry as I'd like. But I have a term paper due soon, and not only that but in class today I thought of something even more interesting that I'd like to write about when I get the chance, so I just don't have the time to really put energy into this.

That being said, this is the political thing I was talking about. As Andrew Sullivan said on his site, where I first saw this thing, "He died. They lied." It's a blog talking about how Pat Tillman, the pro NFL player who died in Afghanistan, actually died in friendly fire and how the Pentagon hushed that up. I'd recommend that everyone read it, and the thing it links to.

As is so often true in politics, "it's not the sex, it's the lying". Who cares that he died in friendly fire? Either way it's sad, either way he was self-sacrificing. But why did the Pentagon cover it up? What else do we take for granted that key details have been left out of, or maybe even made up completely? How does this narrative supporting the war and the administration that people have made up and are constantly adding to relate to the truth, the actual state of the world we live in? Does it?

No comments: