Sunday, May 22, 2005

I was given What's the Matter with Kansas? as a graduation present, and I finished reading it today. Pretty good. I'm obviously the wrong person to judge this because I agree politically with the author, but it seems to me unusually persuasive. I mean, it's a very rare political book that would change what someone thinks about an issue. The vast majority of them could be described as "preaching to the choir." Ann Coulter's Treason or Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them - if you're paying good money for these books in the first place, it's almost certain that you and the author had the same opinion about who's ruining the country before you even read the blurb on the back cover.

But What's the Matter with Kansas? - less so. It's still written for a left-wing liberal audience and they're still more likely to enjoy it than a conservative, but there were several chapters where I found myself thinking, "I should show this to a friend of mine and see if it changes his mind."

No comments: