Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I was reading a discussion earlier about great TV shows, and I was almost surprised at how little I knew about them. I mean, I'm a twentysomething guy with a fair amount of disposable income (well, some), I'm supposed to be everyone's target demographic, right? But a dozen TV shows — Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Sopranos, stuff like that — were mentioned in a blog comment thread on what people liked, and I hadn't seen a complete episode of any one of them. It made me wonder, am I missing out on some really good stuff here?

During most of college there were quite a few shows I watched regularly. Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Jake 2.0 (notice the blog title), X-Men Evolution, Alias, Futurama, Smallville and Stargate: SG-1, at one time or another depending on when I discovered them and stuff. As well as some shows I wasn't attached to but would enjoy when I got around to it, like Family Guy. But most of those have been cancelled and I lost interest in others. Smallville and Stargate: SG-1 are the only ones still on my "must watch" list, and they're both in reruns for the summer.

I dunno. It sounds dumb to be worrying basically that I'm not watching enough TV. But a more valid concern is broadening my horizons. I don't think I've finished reading a book this year, for example, except for the latest installment in series I've liked for a while.

... in fact, that's dumb to be worrying about too. There's a difference between not reading anything, and not reading as many fiction novels. And if I ever get to the point where one of my interests completely replaces the rest, that's bad. But until then, I have half a dozen hobbies and interests like politics and Magic: the Gathering and World of Warcraft. If it turns out I really am missing out on quality TV, I can always buy DVD box sets later.

All that being said, though, if anyone I know wants to rave about a specific TV show or something, now is a good time.

Wow. If that's not my longest and most meandering introduction to a simple request, it's close.

No comments: