Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I think there's a spy among us...

Yes, I'm referring to a specific picture, and yes, I linked to that page intentionally rather than copying said picture here. They are all worth seeing, and I post enough pictures here as it is. Other choice examples: "Trashcat is not amused", "Dude... Wait, what?", "I made you a cookie... but I eated it," and "the voices are telling me to kill you." But "I think there's a spy among us" is easily the best picture + caption combination, no question.

In other events, I don't know if it's my imagination or a bad week or what, but it seems like a twice-weekly publishing schedule gets the worst of both worlds, in terms of writing and deadlines. (By "both worlds", I mean daily on the one hand and weekly or monthly or freelance with flexible deadlines on the other.) It sorta feels like I find out about all the problems, but too late to do anything about it. I finished an article, and I thought it was not great - there were a few blanks I would have filled in if I could have reached the souce - but presentable, so I filed it before I left last night. When I get in, my editor has looong comments and questions about it. Some of which I should have thought of myself, some of which I did think of but didn't address adequately. I wound up spending more than an hour on that this morning, and the more questions I asked, the less it looked like was there to write about in the first place. Like it's not newsworthy at all, or at least won't be newsworthy until January, but I'm only finding that out after I've put some time into working on it instead of something that actually was newsworthy...

... yeah, bad week, maybe I should even just call it a bad day. Ah well, it happens. And lest anyone fear the integrity of the free press (*snicker*), it certainly is or will be newsworthy, it might just be early.

No comments: