Monday, August 27, 2007

I’m writing this at 9:30 a.m. on Monday in a Word document, which I will have to copy and paste to post because at the office this morning, we’re having a rare kind of technical difficulty: the Internet is down. Apparently some/many/all clients of our ISP are having the same problem.

I have the impression this is pretty rare. We lose power occasionally, which is catastrophic for getting stuff done, or my or someone else’s computer itself goes down, which is bad for that person or for the whole newsroom if it’s the news server, but I don’t think I can remember a time longer than a few minutes when our computers and our internal network were working, but not the Internet.

It seems calculated to make me productive. I still have my phone and Microsoft Word, but I can’t go online to read blogs (although, hah, that’s obviously not stopping me from writing this) with the links and the current events and the long, long comment threads. What else am I going to do with my time? Oh well, I guess I’d better call people for a story or something.

Other news: I saw Jo again on Sunday. It was fun. I hadn’t seen her in like six months, for no really good reason. For like a month on either side of that there was genuinely little or no chance to spend a full afternoon/evening down in Rutland, but still, shame on me.

And, World of Warcraft news: my night elf druid is enjoying the occasional heroic instance and is off-tanking Karazhan, even though it’s not always easy to fit raids with my guild into my schedule. And I finally got my undead warlock to level 60 and into Outland. Yay! She’s my highest-level Horde character (for that matter, my only active one), and I’m liking it. Maybe it’s just me, or maybe I would feel the same way about any toon I got past level 50 or so, but warlocks and druids seem like the fun classes.

No comments: