Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Other than the thing I posted about yesterday, though (to be scrupulously accurate, I posted that elsewhere yesterday, and copied it here about an hour ago), the weekend was good. On Friday, a birthday party for a co-worker of T.'s. On Saturday afternoon, we went to a movie instead of the gardens. Kick-Ass, which lived up to its name. That night we went to the birthday party of a friend of mine. Sunday I got up relatively early and went with Paul to play Magic at a Rise of the Eldrazi prerelease event for the afternoon.

I don't know, it's fun, but getting back into Magic seems daunting. Or rather, getting back into Standard Constructed play. After not playing from mid-2008 to the end of 2009, I started again here and there in January, but only draft and limited games except for with friends. Draft and limited are fun, and they require skill of course, but they don't seem like "real" Magic to me. You collect cards but you can't use them again, your deck doesn't have any consistency to it, junk rares are genuinely junk with absolutely no way to make a combo around them or whatever... But Constructed is halfway to being a career. It costs a fair amount of time and money to make a decent deck. I prefer Standard (only cards printed in the last two years or so are legal for play), and I've never dared try to make a competitive Extended or Legacy deck (cards are legal regardless of age, which includes some ridiculously valuable ones). Even Standard would require buying some cards or careful trading, and, presuming that everyone else has practiced with and thought hard about their decks, I'd have to do the same to avoid getting flattened.

The obvious answer is casual play. So maybe I don't need to worry about tournaments at all and just play with Paul and Dave and/or the guys from meetup groups.

No comments: