Thursday, July 05, 2012

I'm slightly optimistic about writing... even though I'm nowhere near the benchmarks mentioned in my previous post.

That Monday I had off, I managed to write probably less than a page. I was busier than I expected (one errand turned into three or so), but even so, it was depressing how little I accomplished. In the meantime, though, I've added six more pages and have a pretty good idea of what will happen next. Two characters so far, both of whom are at least a bit developed. That's nowhere near one page for every hour I've tried to work on this, but it's a good beginning.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I realize the goal was flawed from the start. A page an hour would be a ton. It would be five novels in a year (assuming no time needed for editing), and no one does that. It would have to be pure stream of consciousness. That might be useful in certain limited contexts, and I should try it some time as an experiment just for fun, but won't do for a narrative.

No comments: