Friday, April 01, 2022

This fucking game

 Wordle 286 X/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩

WTF? English has too many words like that. In hindsight I should have used my 4th or 5th guess to eliminate a bunch of possible letters, but I thought I was already scraping the bottom of the barrel. 

I biked the kid to school yesterday. The weather was better than it looked.

Work was nuts. In the morning, I logged on thinking we'd get started on the first of a few tasks resulting from this meeting. Team discussion quickly revealed confusion about how to get started (and that was my fault if anyone's so I'm mad at myself for laziness/disorganization), or even if it was several little tasks or one big one. My teammate J. was voluminous about both parts of that. The biggest reason I'm glad I'm the team leader and not him is that he can write thousands of words on random trivial topics. It's easier to ignore or gloss over that when I'm his leader than it would be if the reverse were true, but instead of doing either of those I should really try to shut him down more. In the end I'm tempted to give him the one big task, for several reasons but mainly just because I don't care about it enough to argue any more. The main reason I haven't is that that our other teammate S. called dibs on certain parts back when it seemed like several little tasks. If she actually wants it even though it might be one big task instead of several little ones, J. shouldn't get it just because he's louder/pushier. In the end I just put the decision off until next week.

That was the morning. In the late morning and early afternoon I worked on two documentation tasks. One was fine. For the other one, the actual changes to the text turned out to be simple and minimal, but formatting was a huge mess. I got something from the subject matter expert with unnecessary changes, not tracked, and I found two different types of wrongness in the document I had sent to her, and inconsistencies between our source documents... ugh.

Later I tried to answer a simple question someone had about how we handle obsolete documents. It proved very complicated because it wasn't set up exactly the way I expected. This misunderstanding might have been entirely on my end or maybe only partially, I'm not sure. Once again, J. just couldn't shut up. I went jogging around 3 (24 minutes, matching my current record) and had a eureka moment while I was out there and figured out the main issue. I was able to resolve the essentials by the end of the day, with follow-ups that will hopefully only be minor.

The kid had her music lesson at the usual time. I didn't even bother bringing a book to read. I've finished A Deadly Education (it was great and I'm thinking about going out and getting the sequel soon) and didn't have the mental energy to start anything new, so I just browsed Reddit and Facebook on my phone during the lesson. 

While cooking dinner (orange chicken from a bag, with veggies added so it's somewhat healthy), I attended a Scout leadership committee meeting online. Very little input needed or offered from me but I figured I should show up just in case our den's main leader couldn't make it.

No comments: