Monday, January 24, 2022

Overdue outing

Wordle 219 5/6

⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Daily stuff

Yesterday I cut myself shaving. It happens often enough on my chin or lip, but yesterday I somehow managed to do it on my ear (trying to control sideburns), so I knew I had to get my hair cut. The kid had a gymnastics class this afternoon and the barber I like is just a couple blocks away, so I went while she was doing somersaults. T. and I also tried to figure out upgrading our phones. Doing two at once, when we're each using different data transfer options, takes some scheduling. After we got home, the kid practiced her guitar, and then got to play with a friend. Meanwhile T. did a lot of tidying up around the house and I did a little. I made fish and Brussels sprouts for dinner.

Musing

I was probably at my physical peak around let's say October 2019 (before holiday eating, when the weather made it easy to get out a lot). I had usually biked to work. 3 miles one way on city streets isn't very intense, but doing it 8-10 times a week adds up. Also, the kid had swimming lessons at the YMCA weekly, and I'd usually do something physical while she was in the water. Sometimes I'd try to swim laps. I say "try" because swimming full laps was a hell of a lot of work; I shouldn't overestimate how great my peak actually was. More often I'd jog on a treadmill for a while and then use weight machines. 

I cooked healthily. I drank a bit more than I needed and lunch tended to be my indulgence, something greasy from a food truck. But still, I got a lot of physical activity for someone with a desk job. We didn't have a car, so grocery shopping and other routine errands were done by bike or on foot.

Biking to work and going to the gym ended in March 2020 like so many other things. 

In the fall of 2020 we got a car, so that meant less walking.

In June of 2021, my inactivity got to me and I decided I'd take up jogging. I stuck with that pretty well through the end of August. Then the start of the kid's school year disrupted things a bit. For a while I biked her to school on most days, and that was better than nothing. That ended in November. I haven't got around to replacing the bike yet. Even if I had, it has been cold enough that she'd probably be very opposed to going to school by bike. 

But I really, really, really need to get back into it or something similar when spring comes.

No comments: