Saturday, May 16, 2020

We're doing fine except for our sanity

Talking to my parents today, someone suggested moving up to their house in Bethel, Vt. due to the coronavirus. It was just a random thought, but I can't stop thinking about it.

I much prefer living in DC to living in Bethel. I like not needing a car. I like having dozens of options for dinner within walking distance, even these days (they're open for delivery or takeout). Food aside, there's more choices in bars, movie theaters, events, etc. in any city. I like my daughter growing up surrounded by diversity. She's accustomed to races, religions, and gender expressions I didn't encounter until after I graduated from high school. And of course, there's the world-famous tourist attractions we encounter on the way to work or an afternoon family outing. When the kid expresses interest in a historical figure, we can show her the portrait in the Smithsonian.

But T. is worried that DC won't reopen this summer, or even this fall. I don't like that.

The hardest part of the coronavirus for me is the parenting. I feel a bit guilty about this, but of course it's fucking difficult to parent and home-school while working from home. For the first month of social distancing I only worked about 25-30 hours a week, but I've been putting in something more like a full day for the second month due to a change at work. I've been telling myself I only had to juggle everything until summer camp/daycare started. If that doesn't start? If school is still distance learning in the fall? What'll we do?

Going to Vermont might be as simple as getting a car and packing suitcases. There MIGHT be problems with our jobs, but maybe not. Mail can be forwarded. T. or I could drive down here every 2-4 weeks to make sure the house is intact. My parents have at least three indoor pets and T. has allergies, but she's dealt with that before.

We'd be giving up a lot, but A. would get a better education and we'd get some peace and quiet.

No comments: