Wednesday, February 09, 2022

A bad day in 4 hours

Wordle 235 6/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Good thing that wasn't hard mode. In hindsight I think I had the information to get it on the fourth guess, but I couldn't think of any words that fit without eliminating several more letters. Oh well.

Yesterday morning and early afternoon was fine. It wasn't quiet in a literal sense, city contractors were cutting down a tree on the sidewalk right outside, but it was figuratively quiet. One easy meeting at 11, one easy meeting at 1. But things started to go sideways just before 2 PM...

Our team got an email asking to have a document updated "asap". A little rude to say so without more details, but so be it. Before I got around to the usual reply email, the leader of the relevant team gave us more details: it was urgent because the previous version had a security risk in it of some kind. Sounds important and unusual! I quickly restricted access to the previous version, asked if that addressed the immediate concern, and then asked several follow-ups about how to handle the new version. 

Before getting an answer to those questions, J., one of my teammates, said that he was already working on edits to this document. Cool, not my problem. He proceeded to work on it, making minor edits that they had missed or ignored. If it was my document, I would have held off on publishing the new version until an answer to my questions. But it wasn't, and it was also an opportunity to get a big, slow-moving task finalized (yesterday afternoon he had complaints about those minor edits and other issues), and he took that opportunity. Fair enough. He published. 3 minutes later, the relevant team lead responded to say thanks. My questions went completely ignored. 

Meanwhile we got a new task from our own team lead. While I researched a thorough answer to it, our team co-lead sent a quick reply. (Lead emeritus? Our true team lead, with the other one being our future team lead in a slow transition process? Let's say for now that the new task came from Lead B and the quick reply came from Lead A.) Lead B had a reply to that with a follow-up question for me. I finally got something out responding to both the original question and the follow-up. It resulted a new task for me, working on a new template for our office, and it's not in quite the usual process. Oh well. The current step of it for me is easy, at least, and the overall task shouldn't be too bad.

I worked until around 5, the last minute before picking up the kid and taking her to swim class. Like last week, I planned to work out in the gym while she was in the pool. We got there with few problems, but when I was in the locker room, I found I had everything I needed - towel, change of t-shirt, underpants, and socks, sneakers, shower sandals, and book just in case I had a few minutes spare! - except for fucking gym shorts! I wasn't going to try to work out in jeans, so I read more than I had planned. 

Oh well. Dinner and bedtime for the kid were fine, at least. After that there was a meeting online about starting something like a PTA. We support it in spirit and plan to participate when it gets off the ground but feel like we can offer no more than that for the foreseeable future.

No comments: