Wednesday, February 02, 2022

My legs hurt

 Wordle 228 5/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday morning (before or during that first entry) I wasn't able to get into the main office network on my personal computer. So instead I got in the browser-view version, which has reduced functionality. I made do for a couple hours then switched to my work computer and stayed on that for the rest of the day, being productive and reading a book when I wasn't. But now I'm having the same problem. I'll have to fix this at some point or get used to using my work computer...

When I was physically in the office, I used Outlook's AutoArchive plus a few very simple rules for announcement-type emails to keep my inbox from getting too big. Every six months or so I'd create a new archive file to keep the archive from getting too big. Very simple. But that doesn't work when working remotely. Something about the remote network screws up the archiving, or at least the automatic archiving. My inbox peaked at around 2,000 emails. So, in the summer of 2021 if not earlier, I started creating folders and sorting my emails into them. I worked on this sporadically. Over the past week I focused on it and basically finished, getting my inbox down to below 250 if not below 200, all of them related to active tasks I own. That was the culmination of a lot of work and should hopefully make my computer function noticeably better when working. I feel like I should be proud of it.

Unfortunately I can't report it anywhere, because no one except maybe family and friends cares about how emails are sorted. So that's frustrating. I also spent yesterday creating my second, more "polished" draft of a high-priority document, although none of my questions about my previous draft had been answered. And sorting a list of 30+ tasks to be divided between me and two other writers. The tasks are individually simple but annoying and there are over a dozen of them, but I can't be sure how many because the list was badly formatted. A productive day is rarely so frustrating.

After work we took the kid to her swim class. The rec center where the class is also has a small gym - treadmills, stair-climber, some kind of resistance machine. Jogging on a treadmill is my third choice for exercise at best, and that gym is minimal, and I'd normally listen to music on Pandora on my phone but I still haven't got that headset figured out, but despite walking and skating this weekend I'm overdue for exercise so I tried it out. 2 miles in 22 minutes. Far from my best and it was painful anyway, but at least I feel dutiful.

I was grumpy all day yesterday. No reason for it, or no one reason. In addition to the work stuff, and the problems with the new phone, and too-little-too-late exercise, I was tired. The night before last, the kid came into bed with us around like 4 in the morning. Same for last night, by the way. I'm not sure the new bedtime routine will help with this (too early to say, it's slow going) but we have to find something that does.

No comments: