Wednesday, May 25, 2022

It's starting to become unremarkable

Wordle 340 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday morning it was raining. T. had to go to the office yesterday (and today), so I drove them both in. I did that grocery shopping on the way home. 

I had two meetings in the morning and edited a document that the SME told me was urgent months ago. 

In the afternoon, we got to swim class almost 15 minutes early - I felt a bit bad about not leaving earlier to meet the ladies, but obviously it wasn't a problem. With the extra time, I decided to jog longer. I went for 5 miles according to the phone tracker, 48 minutes, a personal record by quite a bit. Woo hoo! Today I'm going to try find some non-leg kind of exercise because my legs are still sore. 

Dinner was mostly prepared in the slow cooker before I left. A chicken and tomato recipe. Not too bad.

Musing

I used to pay for World of Warcraft on a six-month recurring plan, because it was reliably entertaining enough. When I restarted last month, I only paid for one month. That was 29 days ago. Am I going to continue? The short answer is yes, for now, but I'm probably not going back to six-month plans.

The endgame of WoW is dungeons, raids, and PvP. The game has seasonal achievements as new content comes out. For years I've got Ahead of the Curve and Keystone Master, the two second-highest achievements in raids and dungeons respectively, and the seasonal PvP mount. In the past month I finished the main storyline of the new content and unlocked two additional Covenant armor sets (a cosmetic feature tied to the current expansion, there are 16 total, I had 11 before I unsubscribed), and some new mounts. As for those competitive goals:

  • Before I resubscribed in April I knew I wasn't going to bother with the seasonal PvP mount. I didn't enjoy PvP all that much, and I'd like it less on my current main character than on my previous one, and having less time in the current season would be an additional problem.
  • I got Keystone Master a few days ago. Dungeons are fun. Dungeons are for groups of five people, fighting 3-5 bosses and assorted minions of theirs. In modern WoW, dungeons have timers and scaling difficulty with rewards to match. It's easy to find pickup groups (PUGs) for them. When a dungeon group goes well, it's an intense 25-45 minutes (depending on which one and how well) with rewards including the chance of better gear and improved score. When it goes badly, it's just a little wasted time. I almost wonder if it would make sense to start shooting for Keystone Hero, the very highest achievement.
  • Raids? Raids vary in size but the current one has 11 bosses, and they're made for at least 10 people and up to 30 in modern WoW. Doing the whole thing in one sitting would take at least 2 hours, probably more, but no one does that; people can leave and join between one boss and the next. Raids, honestly, suck, at least the way I've been doing them. I used to raid with a guild but I haven't done so regularly in years; I don't want to deal with the schedule or other constraints it comes with. PUGs are the problem. It's not too hard to find them but it's hard to find good ones, hard to tell if a group is good or not until we're in combat, and very hard to deal with people leaving and groups reforming after getting wiped out once.
There's room for improvement on my end and I'm working on that, but the "group finder boss" is the real challenge. I'm going to resubscribe for another couple months. When that game time runs out, at this point I would estimate there's a 10 percent chance I'll resubscribe again to work on other goals or general fun, a 40 percent chance I'll unsubscribe happy with my success at Ahead of the Curve and ready to come back when there's new content, and a 50 percent chance I'll let it lapse in disgust at myself and the PUG system.

No comments: