Thursday, February 17, 2011

The other thing that's bugging me today is I'm not sure what the etiquette is regarding a memorial service for a co-worker. The question is, can I get away with skipping it? I realize this is more than a bit selfish of me, and he was a nice guy, and it's certainly sad - he was only in his 50s - but I barely knew him and I don't know his family one tiny bit.

If I had a specific, time-sensitive prior engagement I'd skip it without a second thought, but I don't, I just have stuff I'd rather do: get through a little of that work I alluded to in my last post, and go to the gym here at work when I finish for today. I don't want to do either of those tomorrow, the very last minute.

I'm afraid of telling someone I can't make it for vague reasons, only to bump into them at the gym and have them think that I care about ... except, wait a second, who would know about the memorial service at the gym? Obviously, anyone who would see me wouldn't care about it. And anyways, I had the idea to write about this earlier but some people had said in e-mails that they'd be leaving by now or earlier, but own office and immediate co-workers are still here, so clearly, few people close to me are going, if anyone.

Well, I'm glad I wrote this to figure that out, at least.

No comments: