Monday, January 30, 2023

1.25 hours to myself

Wordle 590 5/6

🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

One of the usual weekend brunches yesterday: pancakes and bacon. It was good but I'm long overdue for using up some potatoes... Relaxing morning. 

We had a relaxing day planned for me. T. was going shopping for clothes after noon and the kid had a playdate with a friend, an older girl she idolizes a bit, so that would be two hours I'd have entirely to myself. I could run easy errands, play WoW without any concern at all for other commitments, or just sleep, considering that I'm still a bit sick. And afterwards we'd all go to a Girl Scouts climbing event but T. is happy to be the more involved parent with that organization so I could just read or something. 

However, the kid's friend was running late, so my downtime was only a little more than an hour. And T.'s shopping took a lot longer than planned, so I got the kid to the climbing gym myself. (By bus. She thought it would be funny to ask me "are we there yet?" repeatedly on the way. The kid is spoiled by too much car use.) 

I actually had fun and did a little climbing there myself. I could imagine us getting a membership there. It was humbling. It was also hard keeping the kid safe and out of the way of the adults. I'm not sure how much running amok is expected at events like this. (Or what "events like this" even means, a Girl Scout event at a climbing gym...) 

T. picked us up there and drove us home. I got cleaned up quickly, just in time for a visit with our friend D. He used to live in the area but now is only here periodically for work. It was nice to catch up. It's been a while. Probably right around seven years, to be exact, since he remembers the kid as a baby. 

Time to myself

Is only a little more than an hour to myself enough? Too much? I get some time to myself every morning because I'm the first one up but on weekdays it's less than an hour and I'm multitasking. If I had a full day to myself I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Probably not much productive. Getting a good night's sleep the night before seemed far more important than "free" time.

No comments: