Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Should I be mad about this?

Four months ago, I was the senior tech writer out of two. I had been in the office about four years, my coworker, let's call him Andrew, about 1.5. In April new management came in and several more tech writers were hired. When I saw the new org chart later that month or early in May, I was surprised that Andrew had "senior" by his title and I didn't.

I was a tiny bit worried about any reduction in job security, especially with everything else going on these days, but "senior" didn't seem to mean too much, and I could imagine legitimate reasons for it. More importantly, I was glad to not take on new responsibilities, especially with everything else going on these days. Home schooling while working from home and social distancing was hard enough with a familiar job. So I didn't raise it with anyone. I figured I could do so at a periodic performance review if necessary.

Today, we got the news that our team leader was being transferred and Andrew would replace him. That title is more meaningful.

Was I just passed over for a promotion because I'm a parent?

No comments: