Friday, July 31, 2020

If this were optional, it would be awesome

I'm working in a camper. I can see lush greenery on all four sides. When windows are open, I hear crickets and birds. 

My parents say that Vermont has been in a drought, but there have been a couple big storms since we've been here, and "drought" seems to mean something different here than it did in California. Everything is green, except for the berries and flowers. In the shade, even the rocks are green. 

At the moment, my dad has taken the kid up the hill, where I think she's playing with her cousin and their dogs. Or maybe my dad is taking her on a hike up the hill. Or maybe she's taking him on a hike. Yesterday I found the time for that and we went pretty far into the woods. When I was her age glacial boulders were my jungle gyms and I took her to one of them. 

The kid isn't getting absolutely everything I've hoped for out of this (before worrying too much about that I should examine how realistic it was), but she's getting a lot. She's closer to nature than she's ever been and I'm trying to sneak in science lessons here and there. She's getting to play up close and personal with her cousin. They're a little more than two years apart, which is a big difference at this age, but it's still the first time she hasn't had to worry about social distancing since March. She's had many playdates but they were all outside and most were at six feet and masked. Here, though, my sister's family has socially distanced very effectively, so no one is worried about it. 

I'm surrounded by memories of my childhood and early 20s. Yesterday T. and I went on an hour's drive and I could point out factoids about a dozen different homes or places. I wasn't happy when I last lived here, but that's because of where I was in my life, not the place itself. 

I have four bars of wi-fi connectivity, thanks to a signal booster my parents set up when we arrived. Right now the camper is quiet except for the crickets. If it were hotter, I might want the air conditioner on, and that's loud. But it's rarely been so hot that I can't handle turning the AC off for the duration of a phone call. T. has had some technical difficulties both with her work computer and her personal phone, but everything has worked pretty smoothly for me so far.

No comments: