Wednesday, July 01, 2020

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Through my teens and early twenties, I wasn't happy with my social life. I was introverted but also lonely. The early blog posts here would probably be revealing. My instinctive answer to any suggested social outing was "no," either because I wouldn't like it, or I might like it but I feared awkwardness and that was more powerful.

So I became more social. It wasn't easy. I'm still not sure I'd say I enjoy a party full of strangers, but I'm a lot more comfortable and confident in it than I would have been at 25 or earlier. I can make small talk. My instinctive answer to any suggested social outing was "no," but I almost always said, "on second thought, sure!"

But now there's a pandemic which has a good chance of killing you or your parents if you do that. Invitations and suggested outings are still coming, because people have different circumstances and risk tolerances and practical errands distressingly often have a social aspect. My instinctive answer to any suggested social outing is "no," my second thought is to say "sure!", but after one more second, I'll whipsaw to "I guess maybe if it's entirely outside, but really, what the hell is wrong with you for suggesting it?" It's disorienting.

No comments: