Monday, April 26, 2004

Call this whatever you want, but do not call it a "smear" campaign. That's just wrong.


Dear Dan:

BBspot.com, a satire/humor site that is aimed at computer literate types (aka "geeks") holds an annual Geek Limerick contest. Santorum made an honorable mention.

By Seth Brown

The Internet is a great forum;
We can mock people when we abhor 'em.
And if you don't believe
What the web can achieve,
Then just Google our dear friend Santorum.




Sometimes I feel a bit guilty about the political stuff I post here. Partly because I want to think and vote along the issues, rather than just being a yes-man for one party or the other. And partly because I should try to be impartial as an editor of the Campus Times. But I think for one thing, it makes a serious difference that I realize the difference between an attempt at humor and an attempt at argument. I don't expect everyone to get my jokes, but realize they aren't my arguments (which I've made very few of here.) If you want to actually talk politics, let me know.

In my opinion, ad hominem attacks like that hilarious limerick about Santorum are okay as long as A: they aren't being made from a position of authority, and B: they aren't being mistaken for a real argument.

Or at least, that's my excuse.

No comments: