Wednesday, December 05, 2018

It's been crazy

Yesterday I planned a relatively rigid schedule for today, starting with a couple hours of work. Not required due to the day of mourning but I thought it would be nice to catch up a bit.

Then the kid woke us up 3 times or so overnight. She was cold and wanted me to put her blankets on her, even though that's how she'd gone to bed and had taken them off herself! For one example. This morning I managed to work for 10-20 minutes before she woke up, crying inconsolably. She said her stomach hurt. After she calmed down I asked her if breakfast would help and she said yes. When she got downstairs, she saw that the TV room light was on (it was simply where my computer had been left) and asked if she could watch TV. I told her no, it was a school day today, she could watch TV after she got ready, she knows the rules. She started crying again. I figured if she really was sick, she'd spend the day at home. I told her we'd compromise: she could eat and go potty and then we'd see. By the time she'd had breakfast, she forgot about TV and finished getting ready for school and went happily as if nothing was wrong.

So I figured I could skip work. Instead I spent the morning mostly working around the house, getting to a few tasks I'd been thinking about for a while. Some stuff is done. Some isn't done, but I got the first part done and found problems with the second part, or decided that the whole thing wasn't worth it. Good enough. Productive. At noon, I decided I'd get takeout for lunch instead of a sandwich or frozen meal. My wife said she'd like to go too. I wanted to go alone, to have even more time to myself, but I thought it would be rude to ask. Until it occurred to me that I had actually had less time to myself today than I do by noon on most days. (Most days I have an hour or so in the morning while I eat.)

So, really, fuck it. The morning was productive, I might run one more errand this afternoon, but other than that I'm on my own between lunch and when I pick the kid up after school. I can spend it watching Game of Thrones (two seasons behind), playing World of Warcraft absolutely guilt-free, or jerking off if I want. Sounds good.

No comments: