Friday, June 02, 2023

Productivity in spite of myself

Wordle 713 4/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

First thing in the morning I finished a monthly report (i.e. end of May, so sort of late?). I got the kid to school fine. After that I had to move the car because street sweeping was coming and T. hadn't found a place on the correct side the day before. 

Then I had a meeting to take notes at. It went fine. I finished the minutes of it before noon. I used to not worry about them until the end of the day, but have noticed my teammates getting to that sort of thing earlier, so I'm trying to as well. Peer pressure.

That was relatively easy. After that I was torn between some more work (actual work-related activities, or personal stuff like cleaning the kitchen and research on that renovation paperwork) and Warcraft. I opted for productivity but it was much harder. I can't articulate why. Feeling like yesterday should have been good enough? I've said in the past I'm not entitled/required to play a certain amount of WoW, but maybe I feel that way anyways? 

Just to make things a bit more complicated, even when I'm working, I'm often playing WoW. Lots of things in the game don't require much attention or time commitment. The problem is, they just aren't fun, rewarding, or both. Leveling alts, doing repeatable quests for gold or similar rewards, profession stuff... unfortunately everything that actually matters requires focus and a moderate time commitment, let's say at least 45 minutes. If T. or my parents saw how much I played, it would be tough to explain that I feel like "behind" or "missing out".

So anyways, I was grudgingly responsible at work and around the house until 1. Then I went to the "expo" at the kid's school. (I walked there and back. My exercise for the day.) It was interesting. They all did reports on various types of natural disasters. Our kid was one of few who picked landslides. She has to be different, of course. :) 

After that, back home for a couple hours for a little work, but a little more relaxed than the morning. I got the kid around the usual time. T. had had a meeting outside the office around 5 and beat us home. 

Dinner was air fryer chicken and broccoli roasted with curry powder. I liked it. Too bad the kid didn't.

No comments: