Saturday, February 03, 2024

Self-control is a muscle

Wordle 959 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The big crisis last weekend was the kid's piercings. She tried to change earrings and couldn't get it back in, despite our help and a lot of screaming and crying. After a little research, it seems that Claire's misinformed us or we misunderstood them: we thought earrings could be changed after 3 weeks, but it's more like 6 or even longer. So we're probably going to have to get that ear repierced. This also resulted in some marital friction as T. and I disagreed about how to handle it.

Sunday I finished Anansi Boys. It was OK. Like American Gods, but based on different mythology. One more book to get off the metaphorical list and hopefully out of the physical house before we move. Next on the list: My Heart is a Chainsaw, a Christmas present I had forgotten about until T. reminded me. It was from her. It's only January. Yup, I'm an asshole.

I've been thinking more about fitness lately. Actual exercise is hit or miss, but I've cut back a bit on drinking and skipped dessert most days. We put batteries in our bathroom scale for an unrelated reason and I've started weighing myself daily and added the column to my fitness spreadsheet for it. It's too early to notice any benefit, but still, good for me. 

The kid has been really grouchy over the past week or two. I'm not sure if it's due to the earring, lack of sleep (we've been lenient about bedtime), trouble with her friends, or something else, but I'd hate to think it's the new normal. 

I didn't observe any Warcraft blackout days over the past week, but somehow I managed to play in moderation anyway. I was productive at work - maybe not perfectly, but more than usual - and got the essentials done around the house. Good for me. My latest goal is to kill the final boss on Heroic again, partly to prove that I can do it, and partly because of a bug where I didn't get all the rewards I expected the first time. (EDIT next week: or so I thought. I got it, I was just confused. So now I really am just playing for fun and very incremental rewards.)

Thursday was disrupted when power went out. It was maintenance. They said we got calls in advance. We didn't. So I went to the library, fuming all the while, and was surprisingly productive there.

Friday, in addition to the biweekly report and working on some old tasks, I wrote a letter to the mortgage company, went for a walk for exercise, troubleshot the flat tire on T.'s e-bike (it's been there since December; I can't fix it because I'd need a stand to turn the thing upside down), and went for a walk for exercise. I treated myself to lunch at Ben's Chili Bowl, but still, good for fucking me.

No comments: