Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Depeche Mode and navel-gazing

Wordle 857 4/6

🟨⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Typical workday yesterday. I had the house to myself, which isn't typical for Monday, but anyways. Minor work on several different tasks, emails, listened in on meetings but no activity required of me in them, a few chores around the house, etc. 

I got the kid a bit earlier than usual and T. got started on dinner (the frozen lasagna, and green beans, and that turned out to not be enough food so we had some miniature microwave pizzas as well) while I was getting her, because we went to a Depeche Mode concert last night. The kid read and played games on T.'s phone through it. I didn't, but kind of wish I had. Not a weeknight activity, but I don't know how to say that to T. because I almost never enjoy concerts anyway. We got home around 11 and went straight to bed.

Journals?

I'm wondering what the point of this is. Not to sound all maudlin when short on sleep, but "this" being journals specifically. I've kept a paper journal ever since August 1st, but lately the entries have been very brief. I kept a spreadsheet tracking my day in half-hour increments, but stopped that when we went to Vermont. And of course there's this. After updating it sporadically for years, I posted 39 times in 2020 about everything going on, and in January 2022 I resolved to update it daily. In hindsight I'm not sure it has been worth it, though. Proximity to a keyboard has not resulted in anything more substantive than daily events. I'm not stopping today, but I might not make it two full years. 

On the other hand, I think some fitness-related stuff has been useful. The spreadsheet was how I identified insomnia (for months if not years I blamed sleeping badly on T.'s snoring, but it wasn't until this that I noticed I wasn't sleeping through the night even when she wasn't around), and I think a journal has been helpful, or at least could be helpful, in tracking my fitness efforts. So maybe I should find some medium better for fitness tracking?

No comments: