Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Party invitations: one of the many problems I avoided through years of being relatively asocial.

T. and I are planning a party to show off our new place. A housewarming party, basically, although we haven't called it that because we think that sounds like we expect people to bring gifts even though we don't. T. pretty easily came up with a list of more than 20 people she wanted to invite: about half a dozen friends she sees reliably at a pub crawl or similar gathering, half a dozen more friends who she doesn't see that often or predictably but still sees fairly often, one current co-worker, two or three ex-co-workers or ex-neighbors, and the cool parents of one such friend. I invited about half that many: several co-workers, my two ex-roommates, and Paul and Dave, the guys I play Magic with. My family is in another state, I'm not good at keeping in touch with people, and inviting co-workers seemed like opening a can of worms - it would be hard to invite some people but not others, I wouldn't want to seem like I was snubbing some people, etc.

And considering that we declared the moving-in and unpacking finished weeks ago, we still have quite a bit of work to do. We have several things to put up on the walls or put away in storage, including pictures bought weekend before last almost on impulse, decorations from T.'s last apartment that we haven't got around to hanging yet, and stuff she got in the mail just yesterday from her parents.

No comments: