Thursday, January 04, 2024

Warcraft, walks, and the date

Wordle 929 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Work was uneventful yesterday. Sent a few emails, started a moderate-difficulty, moderate-urgency task. 

In Warcraft, I completed a +20 dungeon for the first time, a personal record and where the in-game rewards max out. This season is easier than usual, but still, I'm enjoying it and good for me. 

In the afternoon, I played with the kid a bit indoors (a board game, my idea, which I regret because she gets competitive, and dolls, her idea, which is just boring to me), but eventually T. and I insisted on her going for a walk with us. Just a short one, a square around the orchard and along the nearby road. She complained nonstop. She rushed home ahead of us. When we got there, we found her prepping to take the dogs for a walk with T.'s mom. We took the kid and the dogs for a walk instead (or rather, I did; with only two dogs, T. wasn't needed and excused herself). It was probably slower overall than the first walk, due to the dogs sniffing everything and getting the leashes tangled, but still, good for us. 

In the afternoon I took a short nap. Haven't been sleeping well lately (you might notice I'm posting this very early). Then T. and I went on our big date for the trip:

  1. A winery, for a low-key wine tasting.
  2. Costco. We had time to kill between the winery and the next stop and nothing else fit the bill. We mostly just meandered, browsed, and talked about plans for the next few months/years tangentially related to the merchandise we were looking at. It could have been romantic in many other settings. If it bugged me too much, we/I should have planned the date more tightly, but it wasn't bad.
  3. Dinner at an Italian place. The food was good but kind of weird. In addition to what we ordered, the complimentary table bread was huge, and as usual we ordered too much. Leftovers.
  4. A movie: Anyone but You, an R-rated loose adaptation of Much Ado about Nothing. It was fun, and funny. 

Overall, a fun, romantic, good afternoon and evening. Unfortunately, two things in the movie made me disappointed in my fitness.

  1. There were jokes about the male protagonist's stamina swimming. He's "hot girl fit", as the female protagonist described him, and doesn't do cardio. I don't want to read too much into this - they're conventionally attractive romcom characters - but still, it's a reminder that there are different types of fitness and none of them come naturally to the vast majority of people.
  2. I got a foot cramp. Sitting there in the theater, I had to take my shoe off and try to surreptitiously massage it. I assume it's related to my plantar issues. It's one thing to be unable to jog 3 miles, but to be unable to sit through a movie? Ugh.

No comments: