Sunday, March 19, 2006

As I've said before, I don't much like personality tests. But if there's an overriding need and/or I'm in an unusually good mood when I take one, I get to wondering weird stuff about how exactly they're doing the testing.

If you mark no questions "never" or "always" on the first couple pages but by the end of the test you're doing it pretty regularly, does the test take that into account? When there are two very similar questions do they expect that the test-taker knows the subtle difference in meaning between the relevant terms, or are they looking for the subject's response to another variable, like place in the test or an emotional impact of the terms or something? If the test involves rating things on a scale which goes to "almost always" on one extreme but only goes to "occasionally" on the other (rather than "almost never"), did the test-makers do that intentionally?

No comments: