Thursday, April 25, 2024

Apocalypse as light beach reading

Wordle 1,041 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
⬜🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The week before last (probably the 10th, maybe the 12th, but it doesn't matter), I was browsing in a bookstore for beach reading and picked Meddling Kids. I thought it would be a fun read and I was right. In addition to the plot and characters, I enjoyed the world-building. (To put it in spoiler-free terms, a Lovecraft variation.) It seems more realistic and detailed than most. I vaguely pondered setting a post-apocalyptic story set in a world where the antagonist of this book succeeded.

Before we left I also searched our shelves for a book of T.'s I hadn't read that looked interesting. I picked The Fifth Season, the start of a fantasy series by N.K. Jemisin. I'm almost done with it now. It's pretty good (although calling it "fun" might be too strong; I'm pretty sure the climax will be traumatizing). I've soured on high/epic/voluminous fantasy in general in recent years but I'm more inclined to read the sequel to this than I have been in a while. 

It also has volcanism in common with Meddling Kids. And during and after reading Meddling Kids, I learned that a series called "The Famous Five", by Enid Blyton, was an even bigger influence on it than Scooby-Doo, and while on vacation I saw a Reddit thread about her for the first time I can remember. Bader-Meinhoff phenomenon all over!

No comments: