Thursday, October 14, 2004

I've realized a new "rule to live by" which, if I can stick to it, would probably greatly improve how I'm doing in classes.

For my purposes, "the last minute" is now defined as "midnight of the night before the real last minute."

I have missed several classes lately for bad reasons. I don't mind missing them for good reasons, which can include, "I have something more important to do," or "I'm dead tired," or even "Nothing is going to happen, going to class won't affect my grade at all, there's no point." Sometimes those are good reasons. But I don't think it's a good reason to miss class because I put something off until the last minute and underestimated how long it would take me. And that's happened twice in the past week. As far as I know, the teachers haven't taken points off when I've handed something in at the end of class instead of the beginning, but, A) why press my luck, and B) classes don't have to be my first priority, but they damn well shouldn't be my last.

My work ethic is strange, really. Working for myself or my family, there's practically none. Hell, just look at the CT: I'm all over articles and I'm cheerful until 6 a.m. on Thursday, but Chad has been telling me to tack some front pages up on the wall and I've been dodging him for weeks. And other examples abound. But for a boss, I'm eager to please. When I applied for a job as a sub, my dad was genuinely shocked when I got a good (and by good, I mean glowing) letter of recommendation from a previous boss. And despite the many reasons not to, I only missed one or two days at the [shudder] junk mail factory, even though it would have been easy to miss more.

No comments: