Saturday, March 02, 2024

That's enough

Wordle 987 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟨🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Monday was a bad day in almost every sense, to the point that I resolved to do things differently with work and my hobbies. 

  • Work was a mess Monday. The same problematic tasks as last week continued, and a task that's been on my to-do list for months got tangled up in it as well. I powered through my role in it in an afternoon and did what I was told by rote, despite suspecting that the work I was doing was already out of date. 
  • Domestic life was also messy. During the day Monday I got on the roof to work on the leak, so good for me for getting around to it, but it didn't work, so it feels worse in hindsight. On Sunday I thawed a 3-lb. leg of lamb for dinner, forgetting that T. was going to a political event Monday evening. Just figuring out a recipe I could do with it with what I had on hand was a pain, and I had to do it while handling the kid solo, including getting her to practice her guitar. T. cares about that a lot more than me, and I resented it a bit. (Not relevant to the aforementioned resolutions, just to my mood.)
  • As for my hobbies, in some senses, Warcraft went well Monday. On my main I was in a group that killed Fyrakk on Heroic, the main activity for getting the legendary, for only the third time, and on an alt I've been neglecting for a couple months I did a whole bunch of easy-but-rewarding stuff, almost finishing their class set. But I'm frustrated anyway, because the Fyrakk kill was such a messy and unrewarding process! Killing him was basically the luck of getting invited to a good group. I died halfway through, due to someone else's mistake (and that's not just my opinion, the leader said so), but still, it sucks and my contribution was negligible. I'm not sure if the problem is my choice of class, my gear, my tactics in the moment, or all of the above, but I suck. And even if I had done better, it's still not a fun or meaningful process, it's just rolling the dice multiple times to hopefully get an item to maybe do better. 

So I'm done with my main. Maybe for good, definitely for the season. I finished my usual goals earlier than usual, went farther than usual, and am making myself miserable trying to go even further than that. I need to focus more on work, less on the game in general, and definitely less on my "main" character.

I stuck to that well enough for the rest of the week, playing in relative moderation and getting our backlog organized comprehensively. I didn't finish any tasks as such, but I started one and feel like I'm in good shape for more. 

Tuesday I also got orthotic shoe inserts, so I've been steadily wearing them more and getting used to them. (Recommended by the podiatrist way back here, and getting fitted for them was an errand on Jan. 22, and now they're fiiiinally ready for me.) 

Friday I went to Friday Night Magic. Lost two rounds, got a bye, and didn't stay for the fourth. Not too much fun. Maybe it was just bad luck or bad matchups, but I might want to consider doing things differently.

No comments: