Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Finished my story before 3:30 a.m. Nothing to complain about.

Hell, I have low standards for myself. Done before 3:30 a.m. on the day it's due, and that's good??? Well, on the other hand, I shouldn't beat myself up over something that, in the end, will work out - whether it's "good" or not, it's better. Better than usual, better than most similar attempts. I had several viable ideas to choose from before I ever volunteered to do the story, it was in the planning stages for almost a week, and it was more than half done - "done" in this case meaning "written and ready to fit into the final plot" - early this afternoon.

Wellll, there is a little equivocation. "Done" as in, done with the bit I intend to hand in today. It turned out that the idea would need a lot more to develop properly than I could ever fit in the roughly 10 pages we're supposed to write for these stories. So this is Part 1 and my next story will be Part 2. Still, though - can't complain.

If I hadn't been so busy, I'd be very worried about how it will be received. I'm almost certain the whole thing couldn't be seen as grossly misogynistic, or just plain bad and an unrealistic portrayal of the female protagonist, and I'm pretty sure this first half couldn't... Well, maybe I'm worrying over nothing - it would be far from the first time - but if I'm not, I hope people see the "Part 1" in the title and give me the benefit of the doubt that the second half will resolve the problems.

No comments: