Wednesday, June 14, 2023

A bad day

Wordle 725 4/6

⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday when getting ready to bike the kid to school I noticed that the seat cushion we ordered for the kid was missing. I guess it slid off when I was carrying the heavy load the day before. Fuck. So after dropping the kid off I walked the bike along my route from the day before in hopes of finding it. No luck.

I got home at the last minute before the team meeting - it used to be at 10, but recently changed to 9 because of a conflict of our manager's. Whoops. The meeting was productive but frustrating. We've been talking about a way to reorganize the effort to update old documents. The old way has problems. The potential new way has problems too. No resolution yet but we need to find it by July.

After that I had a little downtime and did the laundry, but it was partly lost to a discussion with one of those teams that haven't been cooperative. I thought we made progress on one of the issues. My teammate J. didn't think so. I think that this is a "the perfect is the enemy of the good" scenario, that we resolved one of the sticking points with them even though others remain, but J. wouldn't even say we resolved that. Well, we agreed that follow-up is needed, so that's on my to-do list. 

In the afternoon, one meeting from 1:30 to 2:30, requiring little work on my part but still time-consuming. Then a meeting from 3 to 4. This required work on my part. It was productive. This team is trying to get their documents updated. Good for them. The meeting was rough anyways due to almost Kafka-esque edits, like someone was editing the spreadsheet drunk. Hopefully it was just technical glitches due to multiple people in the document at the same time. Problems with the current system of organization also contributed. There's no easy answers. 

I had hoped to go shopping after that, but follow-ups from the meeting kept me busy until it was almost time to go get the kid. I did some quick dinner prep - it would be tilapia and glazed carrots, not my first choice on a swim night but I would have had a chance to go shopping for anything else, and hadn't done so - and got in the car. 

Getting the ladies at school and to swim class was fine. On the way home I mentioned dinner plans. The kid asked for dumplings from the freezer instead, and T. seemed to have a preference for it as well, so I gave in, even though I was seething about it. It's hard to make a full meal of dumplings, it might actually take longer than my first plan given the prep I had done, but, fine, we'll cave to the kid's tantrum. Ugh.

On the way from the car to the house, the kid noticed I was grumpy. "What's the matter with you?" she asked.

I answered honestly but maybe not completely. "It was a rough day. Lots of work, and I didn't get to everything I wanted to do or thought I should."

"Well, you shouldn't take it out on me," she retorted.

I thought that was a little unfair, so I replied, "How about the tantrum about dumplings? That didn't help either, now that you mention it!"

She started crying.

I made dinner dutifully while T. smoothed over the kid's feelings. I went to bed early.

No comments: