Friday, June 16, 2023

Eating my feelings

Wordle 727 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday I biked the kid to school, and stayed for a few minutes to join in the protest myself.

Work was weird. The documentation update effort bore fruit with a problematic team, but not in a way I expected or wanted. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding the policy we're supposed to follow, or someone else I work with is, or it's a personality conflict with my teammate. (Or, who knows, all three!) 

That's the documentation update effort. It was an all-hands-on-deck situation for those the deliverable and those five documents it links to. J. is working on the fourth document without explicitly complaining but the relative silence is ominous. The oldest one, it turns out, wasn't needed. I took care of the two easy ones yesterday, but as usual it turned out that they weren't as easy as I thought. That's a frequent mistake I make, but in this case I understand why I wanted an easy win. The fourth is still out there, sort of. There is a little recrimination about how this happened, and will probably be more before it's done.

I did all this while a cleaner was in the house, since we're having company. For the first couple hours I worked normally (except for using headphones for those meetings) while she cleaned upstairs, and then I set up the office upstairs while she cleaned downstairs.

Around noon I ran a couple quick errands, one of which for a Father's Day card. It'll probably be late but at least I can say it's in the mail now. While out there I got a soda (still have a cold, so the carbonation, syrup, and caffeine were good, right?)

The cleaner finished around 2. In addition to work in the afternoon I weeded the alley at the last minute before leaving. We're going to use it more than usual this weekend.

Around 5 I left as usual to get T. and the kid. As soon as we got home, our tourist friends came over. We all walked together to Union Market for dinner from different places, to take advantage of the smorgasbord of city life. In addition to my own dinner I had some chicken wings T. had bought. Everything was fine there until the kid fell over while doing handstands and hurt herself. On the way home T. took us to an ice cream shop.

Food

I don't want to micromanage my eating habits, and in fact one sugary afternoon soda plus eating out isn't all that bad, but I can't help but see an association between it and my general mood and stress level lately.

What isn't going on

Two things have been noticeably absent from my life for the past few days.

  • Warcraft: I've played very little during the day. I've played a little in the evening but been going to bed early. Good for me for showing restraint, I guess, but between work and errands I feel like I literally haven't had time.
  • Reddit: I want to support the protest, and principles aside I didn't have a choice; big chunks of the site were down. This doesn't affect hours of my time but affects lots of spare minutes here and there. While cooking or waiting for the bathroom to be freed up or waiting for the kid to be called from her classroom at the end of the school day, normally I'd browse Reddit, but for the past week I've floundered. Last night I broke down and reopened it a bit but I'm still unsure about resuming my normal use.

No comments: