Saturday, June 17, 2023

Parenting, working, shopping, and Hadestown

Wordle 728 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday the kid didn't have school (inservice for parent-teacher conferences, but ours was a week ago). So that was a little more free time in the morning. I spent it working. She spent it watching cartoons.

T. had to go to work normally, so it was me, the kid, and T.'s mother for most of the day. Later in the morning we went to Costco to get stuff for the party. Tried to get a few things at 5 Below but they were closed due to technical difficulties. 

Then back to work for a few hours for me. T.'s mother took the kid to the park. After she got tired of that, the kid painted with a new watercolor set, watched TV, and pestered me.

I worked until 4 - not a full day, with the Costco trip, but still a busy one. Same stuff as the past few days, with the deliverables, the suddenly urgent old documents, and another nominally urgent task but not as bad as that set. It's a huge formatting mess. I don't understand how someone can look at a Word document and think that's OK.

Anyways, T.'s mother made dinner. We hadn't planned it but I'm glad she did because we would have been pressed for time otherwise. Just as we sat down, T. joined a parent/teachers meeting on her phone. Dinner conversation was bad. 

We rushed through dinner and got to gymnastics class late. T. and her mother watched the class. I returned a book to the library, checked in on Magic: the Gathering options at Labyrinth, and scheduled a Lyft for our evening plans: Hadestown. Good show.

I was relieved when we got there. I wish the day had been been more relaxing, but I'm not sure what we could have moved or skipped without making things worse. (Skip the meeting? It's important stuff; the school really does have issues. Get the kid out of the house more? T.'s mother deserved to relax a bit. Skip gymnastics? It's the last one of the year for her. Do dinner later? T. and I wouldn't have had time. Etc.) Just one more long day after a long string of them.

No comments: