Saturday, April 23, 2022

Socializing

 Wordle 308 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟨🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟨🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday was fine. Biked the kid to school. I "pulled over" for an ambulance (I wasn't in the street, but I waited longer at an intersection than I would have due to it), and traffic was so bad that I managed to keep up with it for three blocks. At a major intersection we saw two cars badly damaged due to a huge accident and getting ready to be towed, and the ambulance we were stuck behind kept going, so I guess there was another accident in that direction. 

Work was fine. I snuck out in the morning to go jogging instead of the afternoon because we had plans then. I took notes at a meeting, had only one follow-up question, and got them finished by close of business. I finished my training for the year and kept on digging away at that SOP with messy formatting. 

I logged off a bit early to get the kid. There was an Earth Day celebration at her school, which was fun to see, but that's not why we were there. She'll be the ring bearer at the wedding of a friend of ours this weekend, and last night was the rehearsal. 

Dinner after the rehearsal was at a nominally French place in northern Virginia. I was a bit grumpy, or maybe even elitist, although I don't think I was actually rude to anyone. The bride's family are winemakers from California, so they had their own wine preferences. I drink a fair amount of wine but am not actually a connoisseur. I do, on the other hand, have opinions about Belgian beer, speak French, and really like two French or Belgian restaurants in my neighborhood. (One just closed. I was sad.) This place seemed less authentic and had no Belgian beers. I ordered a 1664, because it's what I had the last time I was in France. I'll admit the food was great, but it just didn't taste the same when served by a waiter without a French accent.

But despite that, dinner was fun. The kid wanted to sit next to the bride, and so did lots of other people, and I didn't fight for that myself. Instead I hung out with the one person I knew there and some of the various cousins and other family. I was probably the most outgoing I've been in two years, if not longer. Being introverted is part of my self-image, and I'm objectively less sociable than T. if that means anything, but the past two years proved that there are limits. I lost track of time until the kid told me at 9:45 that it was time to go. She got to stay up way past her bedtime.

No comments: