Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Standards almost met

Wordle 305 2/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Woo hoo.

Yesterday I biked the kid to school. I stayed for a few minutes to help hand out PTA fliers.

Work was fine. A little progress on that new task, a couple easy meetings, a lot of dealing with more longstanding tasks. Remember when I did detective work about the source of an unusual request? A few days after that I was told that my deduction was wrong, so I moved on, tried to revise my assumptions, and proceeded with the task. Yesterday afternoon I sent an email reminding the SME that I had a few questions. Then, right before I was about to log off, she responded to say that she had been wrong weeks ago and the task did come from where I thought it came from. Hah! I was right! I kept the gloating to a minimum. 

I logged off a little earlier and more quickly than usual because we went to help hand out more fliers for the PTA after school. Then, the kid's swim class. I jogged. 3.65 miles in 35 minutes - more/better than usual but not a record. Dinner was fried rice from a bag - easy enough for a late night.

Musing

Over a month ago, I mentioned goals to meet before restarting World of Warcraft. One of them was catching up on my reading. I've alluded to a reading list before, mostly books I had bought or been given and was interested in but just didn't get around to, but never fully listed it until now. What I've read since I started keeping track and where they came from:

  1. Sixth Watch, the last book of a series we had around the house
  2. The Wheel of Time series, if a reread counts
  3. Project Hail Mary, a Christmas present
  4. The Good, the Bad, and the Smug, from a gift certificate
  5. Volumes 6-9 of Transmetropolitan, discussed here
  6. Old Man's War - I don't remember if it was a present itself or from a gift certificate
  7. A Deadly Education, a Christmas present
  8. The Last Graduate - I liked the previous book so much I went out and bought its sequel
  9. All the Marvels, a Christmas present, the one nonfiction on the list
  10. The Escape Artist, which a book I bought impulsively was a sequel to
  11. And, as of this minute, all but the last 40 pages of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd 

I'd say I'll be done by tonight, if not lunchtime. It doesn't have the book I bought, but seven novels and one nonfiction in four months, plus graphic novels and rereads, seems like a decent number. I've got my backlog of books down to one. (Two if you count the last Transmetropolitan book, but I don't own it yet.) 

And as for World of Warcraft, yesterday they started hyping the new expansion. Among the information was a feature I've wanted for years. (I could prove it if I had to, but I'd have to link to Reddit comments I made and I'd rather not de-anonymize myself like that just out of general paranoia...) I'd say I've met those goals... for better or for worse.

No comments: