Thursday, April 28, 2022

A great day for ME, but...

Wordle 313 X/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

Ugh. I should have thought harder. I shouldn't have used the 4th guess for random letters, I should have kept thinking until I found a word that fit the information I already had. Lazy.

T. is going to have to start working in the office once a week going forward, and yesterday was the first day of that. So we drove the kid to school, and then kept going and dropped T. off at work (they're only like four blocks apart), and then I had the house to myself. Woo hoo! Party!

Kidding. But I took the best seat in the house, which I normally let her have, and spread out over the whole dining room table, and I didn't worry about the volume of my music or other things. 

I had one meeting in the morning. It was moderately productive. In the afternoon I had an errand to run, dropping off some gourmet chocolates with another parent at our school for a teacher appreciation event. I incorporated that into jogging. Running carrying several pounds of chocolate is awkward, and the detour was inconvenient, but still, points for experimentation and stuff. Unfortunately I'm running out of variations to try on my route. I think the best viable way to make it longer or harder is to double up the main loop of it, but doing that in one fell swoop is intimidating.

After work, I dropped the kid's guitar off at the music studio, because we all had evening plans. The kid's after-school care nanny would walk her to music class. T. would walk over to meet her there. They'd both get takeout for dinner because I was going to a work happy hour. 

It was fun. My office used to have these regularly. I'd go when it was downtown, roughly half the time. This one was in Virginia, but not far out and was definitely worth it. In addition to being the first one in two years, it was a retirement party for my team lead. (Her co-lead has been around for several months now in a gradual transition process.) Some statistics:

  • I had met the outgoing team lead in person on only one occasion, before the contract actually started.
  • I saw two people I knew fairly well from the Before Time, and two more people I didn't know well but was acquainted with.
  • I met in person for the first time at least six people who I've exchanged many emails with and shared many meetings with, including my other soon-to-be-only team lead.
  • I had two beers, and basically a full dinner of hors d'oeuvres. 

Unfortunately while I was on the way there, the kid was with playing with her friends or on the way to the music lesson, and apparently they witnessed some kind of street violence. I'm hearing about this secondhand. The kid is not very communicative about anything remotely stressful. A horrible day for it, the first day ever there wasn't a warm handoff between the nanny and us. She seemed fine at first and I gather dinner went OK, but getting her to go to bed was very hard. Ultimately she went to bed with us and I put her in her own bed around 1 AM.

No comments: