Tuesday, July 12, 2022

What I don't talk about

Wordle 388 5/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I made a mistake, but even so I don't feel bad about getting it in 5 guesses, because it was one of those words with eight different possibilities for a certain letter.

Yesterday was fine. I ultimately did go jogging in the later morning. Not too busy at work. Meetings, but they weren't directly for/about me or my tasks; I was just there for my awareness and just in case I had a contribution. I finally got to a couple minor but annoying tasks I had been putting off for a while.

Dinner was pork chops, leftover salad, and mashed potatoes because we had to use them up. 

Musing

There's a lot I don't write about here, but that doesn't mean it's not important or a big part of my time. Other stuff I do:

  • Nothing about sex appears here, or only very obliquely. 
  • I spend a lot of time playing World of Warcraft, but only discuss the major victories and other highlights. Not mentioned here are interminable Mage Tower attempts, Mythic+ dungeon runs that incrementally increase my score or pickup raids where I don't get anything interesting in particular, or doing random quest chains to level alts or unlock some cosmetic feature... even though those are the vast majority of the time I spend in the game.
  • In addition to the novels I have mentioned reading here (see the label), I also read some political news and articles and fan fiction here and there, especially when I was talking a few months off from the game. 
  • I mention actual outings to see people or prearranged visits from friends to see us. I don't usually mention chatting with people on the street or while taking the kid to the park. This seems fair in terms of total planning for and time spent in a given interaction, but it may mean the difference between catching up with a certain neighbor every week or every 3 months, or no human interaction at all outside the house in a given day or brief chats with 3 different people.
  • I rarely go into detail about TV or movies we watch, but that's at least an hour most days, often more than three.
  • I discuss the brief highlights of work, heavily anonymized. In 5 years I hope I can piece together which team member was which, if it matters.

There's probably nothing to do about this. (In some cases I can't imagine it mattering. In other cases, I'd probably want to start over and maybe even have separate blogs for each topic to anonymize it. I actually did this in the past about an old job...) I just don't want to mislead the hypothetical reader, or myself if I review this years later, about how I'm actually spending my time.

No comments: