Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Awful

Wordle 368 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday I biked the kid to school. I went shopping on the way home. 

We had a cleaner come over because we have company coming soon (T.'s mother, my parents, and a general birthday party for the kid), so my day was a little disrupted. While she cleaned upstairs, I worked downstairs, and then we switched. It was only really a problem when she was vacuuming during my one meeting in the morning.

Yesterday afternoon was a lot more aggravating than its productivity would indicate. As for productivity at work, I got two big documents done. Yay. But both were a pain in various ways.

  • For the first of them, a SOP that's fairly important because it's mentioned in two documents due to the customer, the person responsible for it sent an email yesterday morning indicating that she thought the deadline was today, when it was actually yesterday. I don't want to say that was scary, because I had clearly done my part and she did in fact re-prioritize when I corrected her, but it was frustrating. Her final changes were minor and logical, but it left me wondering why they weren't made weeks or even months ago. Oh well. 
  • The second was one of those documents due to the customer, so it was even more important. Way back here I got what was supposed to be the final edits to it. Since then there were many email discussions of it, for both good reasons and IMO bad ones, but no new questions, comments, or edits to the document itself. But then!
    • There was a meeting about it at 3 and I had no news to share. It continued to be ready. 
    • At 3:28 I heard from L., a woman on the team that owns these documents. She had a question about the document by Teams chat. At first glance I wasn't clear what she was asking. There were formatting problems introduced by copying and pasting into Teams. (In her defense, I could have read more carefully and/or paid more attention at first; all I can say is, I was distracted.) So I made a couple minor edits and thought it was done.
    • I went to get the kid at 4:35. Exact timing will become important soon. I got the kid and T. at the school and got to the pool without major problems; details to follow. But while walking through the pool parking lot at 5:23, I noticed a text message from L. on the deliverables team. She had sent it at 4:51. She was asking about "multiple grammar and spelling errors in those documents". As the person responsible for grammar and spelling on one of them, this is scary, but I couldn't do anything about it at the fitness center. I replied to say as much. 
    • Around 8, I checked my work email. Apparently the files had been sent at 7:30, so they figured out an approach that was good enough, but that is really, really not how this was supposed to go.

Getting the kid after school went well enough, but was a little more complicated than usual because of end-of-school-year festivities and cleanup. Getting to the pool was difficult because the rec center it's in is also a polling place, and yesterday was the primary election, so we had to park a block further away than usual. Getting into the rec center was difficult because the place isn't very user-friendly. For several weeks we've been confused about the dress requirements in the pool area, because they say one thing but enforce it spottily. Last week I learned that there's a separate sign-in for the pool the kid uses and the fitness center I use. This week we learned that they apparently they have to see one ID per adult, and T. had left hers in the car (which, again, was farther than usual), so that was annoying too. 

By the time we had sorted that out, I had less time to jog than usual. I tried to make up for it by going faster than usual. My phone thinks I did 2.92 miles in 25:38 minutes and the treadmill's tracker says it was even better. The phone doesn't think that's a record, but that might be a mistake and even if not it's definitely close. 

Dinner was fried rice. No drink but I was really tempted.

No comments: