Monday, June 13, 2022

It would have been great if we planned it but we didn't

Wordle 359 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday when I woke up it looked like it might start raining any minute. I decided to be brave and go jogging anyway. Breakfast was eggs and home fries.

The plan for the day was for the kid to do her chores, mainly music practice, and then we'd go to the National Gallery of Art for an hour or two and see the art, and then the kid would have a playdate with a friend. The friend's mother could probably supervise. Meanwhile T. and I could do some shopping to get ready for the kid's birthday party in two weeks, weed the back alley, or do other housework or errands. This plan was weather-tolerant; like I said, it looked likely to rain. I wore a dark shirt and brought my hat with me to the museum rather than sunglasses. 

Music practice was more thorough than usual, and I supervised it more than usual. Normally T. does (because she cares about it more than me! Because I think this is almost counterproductive! Because I barely remember any of my trumpet lessons all those years ago and I think the kid hates this more than I hated that!), but she was busy organizing stuff and planning the party, so I figured I'd step up. In the end we spent almost half an hour making music with the kid actively participating. I call it progress.

We drove to the museum. The parking space we found was better than I expected but still not great. As soon as we got to the museum, the kid made a beeline for the activity stations from the event Thursday. She was very disappointed when we explained that they were just for that special event. Then she led us through the store. After we repeated that we weren't getting her anything there either, she led us out, disappointed.

However, there was something going on outside we hadn't planned on, the Pride Festival. To the kid it was just a party with a lot of rainbows and weird fashions, and she likes those. We snuck in some education about different gender expressions and inclinations. She saw a hair extensions booth and wanted to get hers done. It took over an hour, but she was patient. At some point between us entering the museum and her getting her hair done, the sun came out. It was hot most of the time we were in line. T. and I traded off holding the place in line, walking around to get water and snacks and try to find sunscreen, and standing in the little shade we could find nearby. Then we tried to get to the playdate. We got ice cream and Italian ice on the way. The playdate wound up taking place in the splash park by our house, so the kid put on a swim suit and shower cap to protect the hair extensions. 

After getting them settled I went home and started cooking. Dinner was a dish called "Mexican pizza". T. found it online; apparently it's someone's attempt to replicate a Taco Bell thing. Quite a bit of work, but not bad. 

After all this, we were all exhausted. T. and I were in bed with lights out by 9 PM. We needed it. The kid had a nightmare and came into bed with us around 4:30, but even so I got about nine hours of sleep last night.

No comments: