Monday, June 06, 2022

Camping details

Wordle 352 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Saturday I wore close-toed footwear longer than I've become used to. I put boots on around 10 when activities started because I'd be tramping through the woods and took them off around 6. That's probably longer than at any point since December, if not since the Before Time. I don't do it much because I get heat rashes easily, and sure enough, my feet still itch now. That night the kid had a teary breakdown at bedtime, partly due to the stress of using the gross camp bathrooms, partly because I had forgotten her pajamas. I packed most of her clothes Friday afternoon, but I figured that we'd pack the pajamas we wore Friday night when we all woke up Saturday morning, but I didn't tell anyone else... whoops. Also, T. forgot to pack her own toothbrush, and I didn't sleep well Saturday night due to noise. Sounds weird due to being in the wilderness, right? But there was a wedding or some other kind of party at a nearby property. Even after that, tents were close enough together that I could hear people snoring in other tents, let alone our own. I brought earplugs but couldn't find them in the tent in the dark.

Despite all that, and getting lost in the woods, and other peoples' annoying kids, it was fun. It was our fifth camping trip as a family. Camping is a skill we're improving at. The only things we forgot were the pajamas, the toothbrush, and a broom to clean out the tent, and I feel like those don't count. (The pajamas and toothbrush aren't camping-specific; that could have happened on the trip out of town last week. The broom would have been nice to have, but I was also able to borrow one from the campground, so who cares?) Our camping tableware could be better, but we remembered to bring it, unlike previous trips. The tent and sleeping pads we got last fall are far, far more comfortable than our old ones. The kid had fun with friends and was eager to try new things. Last time I was worried about her being shy and withdrawn; this time I was worried about her and her friends making trouble. Which is a problem, obviously, but a problem I'm more happy to have.

Once we got home we were lazy. We got back around noon and the kid had a birthday party for a friend at 4:30. In between getting home and going to the party, we did laundry, cleaned ourselves up, and sat around and watched TV and played our games. 

I feel a bit bad about that. General principles aside, we should have made her practice her guitar. And my only plan for dinner was the pizza at the birthday party and in hindsight it was inadequate. Fortunately we had tortellini ready to cook but it was still a small, boring dinner. All I can say is, we were all tired.

No comments: