Wednesday, August 03, 2022

A day off but only for the kid

Wordle 410 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Good game. I feel like 4 guesses is par.

Yesterday the kid stayed home while I worked. No doctor's visit needed, no moaning in bed with headache, stomachache, or feverish agony, no reason to suspect something potentially lethal, she was just coughing and sniffling too much to spend the day outside the home. T., however, had to go to the office, so it was just me and the kid. Uh oh.

At first it was fine. She entertained herself quietly in her room reading until after 10. Unfortunately, I had a meeting at 10. This weekly meeting normally only takes 15 minutes or so, but yesterday it took over 45. She was definitely making more noise by then, and openly asking if I could do something with her.

After the meeting and a couple follow-ups from it, I drove her to the library. We got six books. Four Tintin books, one Lumberjanes, and one Peanuts; she was least familiar with the latter. I hoped they would keep her busy this afternoon and the following day if the worst happened and she couldn't go to camp again again. Then to the grocery store. Nothing perishable, but a few things for lunch or snacks before we leave or things that will last until we get back. 

Then back home for more work in the afternoon. The kid did a little cleaning up after a mess created in the morning, and a little packing, and a little reading. She said she was finished all six of those books well before 4. (She mostly just looks at the pictures.) At that point I could have got more work done but I didn't really need to, so I logged off.

We played chess briefly, but it turned into Calvinball - she's interested in the game, but just too young for it. T. got home around 6 and the kid and I had already gone out to pick up pizza. After dinner we went for a little walk as a family, just to use our legs a bit more.

Musing

Having the kid home all day was okay. She was very well-behaved early on. Could have been a bit better later, but we can only ask for so much. And she genuinely was sick, not just reluctant to go to this camp, although that didn't help. In the end, we got through it with her only watching 1 hour of TV, so that's impressive. If she was 10, I can imagine there being no problem at all with a day like this. But she's not.

No comments: