Thursday, August 18, 2022

A day to myself

Wordle 425 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday, Wednesday, T. had to go to the office, so she left just a little bit before I took the kid to camp. 

In the morning I sent a few emails and sorted a few new tasks before going jogging. I only actually got out the door like half an hour earlier than the day before. I made the usual 3-mile loop this time, at least. But near the end, I had to hop off the sidewalk to get around some machinery parked in it, and the ground I went in turned out to be incredibly muddy, so my new shoes (I didn't realize they were THAT new, wow) got suddenly dirty. So that's annoying.

In the afternoon I got the essentials done at work, played WoW (this new "Season 4" concept is interesting. Still not sure how I feel about it because of possibly non-representative details and because it started right before my vacation), planned some stuff for the next few days/weeks, and went to get the kid at the last minute. After that I cleaned the kitchen. (I feel like I should have done it earlier on principle, but oh well, no harm done.) The kid and I had a little downtime. Right around 5:30, T. got home, and just a little after that, it started pouring, and just a little after that, the kid was able to go play with her friend across the street. Can't complain. 

Dinner was pesto pasta and a tomato/mozzarella/basil salad. Easy and good.

Exercise Musing

Yesterday jogging went OK, but I've been sore a bit in between sessions, and I'm not totally sure jogging soon after biking is good for me. On the other hand, there were a couple hours in between, and the biking is intense but only brief. Should I look for something better than me than jogging, whether I'm biking or not? And I'm still confused about foot cramps. I almost seem to get them daily, either while biking or in bed, and I have no idea why.

The amount I write about exercise doesn't reflect an interest in anything truly competitive, let alone actual enjoyment of it. From 2010 to 2020 I happily didn't think about exercise at all. I biked to work, maybe occasionally went to the gym if it was convenient, and that was it. But now I feel like I have to. I want to continue to eat like a pig (or, to be less self-deprecating, simply to eat without counting calories) and maintain a sedentary personal life without getting obese, and I want to not completely embarrass myself when thrust unexpectedly into a situation calling for physical activity, even though I was never all that great at most athletic stuff to begin with and time is taking its toll on me - I want, in two words, to stay fit - and that requires some kind of deliberate exercise, and jogging seems to be the best balance I've found so far between pain and convenience. 

But it's far from perfect.

No comments: