Tuesday, February 21, 2023

The end of the trip

Wordle 612 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Hotel breakfast again yesterday. Afterwards, T. took the kid to the pool while I packed as much as I could. We left fairly uneventfully just before 11.

Then to the outlet mall. I needed socks. T. still wanted to shop for new office-appropriate attire for the upcoming job and she got several things. The kid played hide and seek with me in the store. When her behavior got problematic (hitting me because I found her?) I took her to a near toy store to placate her (maybe rewarding bad behavior, maybe it would have been fine if we had negotiated something for the stuffed animal in advance, maybe totally neutral and with no meaning at all). 

T. was still shopping, so the kid and I went back to the car. She said she was thirsty and had a headache and wanted something cool, so I got her a lemonade from Chipotle. In the car she watched cartoons on her iPad, I tried to sleep. Still mysteriously tired. T. joined us around 1 or so and then we went to actual lunch, at a brewery we had driven by the day before. I had a bowl of chili, the kid had a hot dog, apple slices, and macaroni and cheese, and T. had a fried chicken sandwich. The brewery had a playground, so while T. finished her beers I took the kid there.

Then we drove home. It was my turn, so I did, even though I was tired. We stopped at a Target about an hour from home and did a little grocery shopping, including coffees in the Starbucks. The trip was uneventful otherwise. 

Dinner was pork chops and a salad. It was meant to be cauliflower, that's what I thought I got at Target, but it turns out I bought a head of iceberg lettuce. Whoops. Also, one head of iceberg lettuce results in a huge salad. Ugh.

I did my physical therapy right before putting the kid to bed. The day felt inactive, but between walking around the hotel, walking around the playground, and shopping, I hit the steps goal set by my app. Good for me, but I feel like it just shows how low the bar is set by the app.

Eating and Exercise

I have a lot to say about the calorie-burning part of fitness but the calorie-consuming part can be a problem too. Going from hotel breakfasts to light walks or playing in pools to eating out for lunch and dinner turns out to be a lot of food. I wound up on the verge of a food coma most of this past weekend even though I was trying to eat right. 

The kid ordered from the kids' menus but didn't finish her meals anyway, so I'd try to prevent leftovers or even if that's not possible just nibble on something in front of me, long after I needed to. We wound up with leftovers from dinner Friday and Saturday as well. The day before yesterday I had a crepe Florentine for lunch, and it felt like it would be healthier than a burger or similar fare, but in hindsight there's no reason it couldn't be big. It was. And, of course, all the alcohol. 

This sucks. A low-energy lifestyle is a vicious cycle, even though that sounds high-energy.

Well, if I take physical therapy seriously, hopefully I'll be able to resume jogging. When I do, I'll try to be even more serious and regular about it than I was before. Maybe even something beyond jogging? Who knows. Baby steps.

No comments: