Sunday, February 12, 2023

The kid isn't allowed to have that much fun

 Wordle 603 3/6

🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yesterday we had the usual Saturday brunch, pancakes and bacon, but smaller than usual because we had plans soon. A friend of the kid had a birthday party in the morning. It was at public rec center but the main attraction was the indoor pool. The kid always likes swimming and apparently her friends do too. It was nice to chat with the parents a bit too.

We dragged the kid out of the water around 12:30, later than planned. Home for lunch (leftovers) and getting the kid showered off. Then we had plans to meet a different friend at a library downtown for an exhibit about Emmett Till. We tried to take the bus there rather than deal with parking, but we just barely missed two of them. I'm tempted to take it as a lesson about buses being worse than before we had a car, or our organization being worse, but maybe we just should always have given ourselves more time for a trip like that. So I drove. I paid $12 for the first garage I found rather than trying to find on-street parking like the last time I tried to park downtown, or the time before that although I can't find a link.

For some bizarre reason T. thought the Emmett Till exhibit would be kid-appropriate. It wasn't, at least not for our kid's age group, but fortunately the library had a big children's area so they kids had fun anyway. 

After that we took her friend home with us for a couple hours. T. and I cleaned and did the laundry while the girls entertained each other. I did my physical therapy while T. cooked enchiladas. The friend stayed for dinner.

It's a weekend so I thought it would be nice to let the kid stay up late and watch a movie. The rule was it had to be new to the kid, and something T. and I hadn't seen in a while. We settled on The Empire Strikes Back. It went OK. The big revelation of it wasn't news to her due to a baby-oriented Star Wars book, and she was distracted by T.'s games during some slower parts, but I don't want to complain about her not enjoying the movie the way I think she should. The movie was over around 9:30.

Bedtime, though, sucked. I don't mean the usual stalling, games when we're telling her to stop playing around, that sort of thing. She just had a tantrum like we haven't seen in months if not years. So we've sworn off letting her stay up late like that for a while. In fairness, it wasn't just the movie, it was also a very busy day, but still.

No comments: