Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Valentine's Day, technically

Wordle 606 6/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I cheated by checking that on another device and having T. help me. What can I say, I didn't want to break the streak. I feel like I didn't make any mistakes, I just wasn't lucky enough to guess the right letters early enough.

Yesterday when I got up I found that T. had got a Valentine's Day card and chocolates for both me and the kid. I only got her a card, although we also have dinner plans for tonight. I felt a bit bad about that, but she didn't seem disappointed, so let's hope it's OK.

I dropped the kid off at school and T. off at work uneventfully, although at the last minute because T. did the kid's hair, and had the house to myself, as has become typical for Tuesdays. Cool. I had 3 meetings at work, and they were all active and productive, although there were some complications in the last one. Cool. I felt more productive yesterday than the day before.

Late in the afternoon I prepped the kid's swim bag, and prepped a bag for myself to jog, before the last minute, good for me. Then when I texted the other parents to confirm plans, they reminded me that the pool was closed today. Whoops. But they invited our kid over to play with theirs instead, so we still had extra time in the evening and she had fun and burned off energy. So instead I did my physical therapy while I finished watching The Prestige, which I had got from the library a few weeks ago now.

T. got home while I was finishing the movie. It was good. Then we joined the other parents for pizza - their treat, how nice of them, we should do something to pay them back. When we got home, I got the kid in the shower. T. went straight to bed, her back was hurting her so much due to a pinched nerve 2 or 3 days ago. I stayed up a bit late playing Warcraft (more on this in a minute) and got up at least once in the night because T. couldn't sleep due to the pain.

Warcraft

With free time in the evening after the kid was asleep, I played WoW more freely than usual. First I spent about half an hour or so getting the weekly "chores" done on my main and in the process hit some profession milestones - cool. Then I joined a pickup raid for a boss I haven't killed yet, one of the last three I needed for Ahead of the Curve. We spent probably over an hour in there - hard to say but I definitely logged on before 9 PM and logged off at 10:59 PM, and I'm pretty sure I didn't spend an hour on the chores and profession stuff. In that time we wiped at least 7 times and didn't make significant progress on the boss. 

That's disappointing. Worse, it wasn't fun. Why am I doing this? Raiding like this is pointless. Nothing about the game forces me to work towards this goal. There's a social aspect if you know the people, but I didn't, and I haven't wanted to deal with a guild's schedule for years now. I was only able to hear their voice chat because I was doing this when not working after everyone else was asleep, which describes less than 5 percent of my play time. 

I don't want to make too much of this. My attitude would be a little bit different if the last 8 minutes, the last attempt, had succeeded. I still enjoy the solo stuff and dungeons. But maybe it's time to reevaluate my approach to, if not the game as a whole, raids.

No comments: